Friday, November 14, 2014

A tribute to one who once was and never will be.. My brother.

Have you ever broken down at a sudden loss or an unexpected tragedy? A death of a loved one, be it a man or animal? Something that you've held close with the plans of never letting go, never realizing that Fate always has its claws wrapped around them, to pull them away when you least expect it.

I remember the day my eldest cousin died almost like it happened yesterday. We'd just made plans with his mother to go watch a movie the next day and we were all so excited because we'd never had the chance to get together in  a while. So the chance to do something together as a family had all my cousins bubbling with bliss when my aunt got a call stating that her son was in a minor accident. And, I swear to God that the only thought that ran through my head at the time was how much I was going to tease him about it the next time he came to visit me.

Now, let me tell you something about this cousin of mine. He was the epitome of perfection. He was kind, generous and never looked down on the rest of us simply because he was the oldest, but always made time to make sure we never felt ignored. And just because of us, summer vacations always began and ended with his presence. I could go on  and on about his exploits which were probably enough to fill a nice, fat book. But that afternoon. just three hours after the phone call that delivered the news of his accident, we received another one. Something more morbid that anything we'd ever experienced in my family till then.

He was dead.

Its been five years since then and the thought of him still manages to plunge my thoughts into  a spiraling depression and cloak my heart with an unfathomable sadness. The light of our gregarious family was gone. We never looked forward to summer vacations with the same enthusiasm. And ever since taking responsibility as the next eldest, I realized how much time and effort he'd spent to keep us entertained with his stories and antics. And since he was an only child, I saw the shadow descend into his mother's heart.

So this is me stating that, even though he's gone, I live with the bountiful memories and the unforgettable experiences that we'd shared with him. Because, its not easy to make someone feel special and keep it going. And yet, my brother managed to make each one of us gleeful and wanted, never a harsh word spoken but bringing comfort in his presence.

This is for you, Sakthi. I hope wherever you are, you're happy doing what you love ( which I know is probably building houses and skyscrapers). We'll meet again soon.

And with this, I leave you for now. This is me, Jabber Emi, signing off.

~L.O.L



No comments:

Post a Comment